Adam…was a pattern of the one to come. (Romans 5:14, NIV)
These are a shadow of the things that were to come;
the reality, however, is found in Christ. (Colossians 2:17, NIV)
In the Old Testament, not all portraits of the coming Messiah were painted by the words of prophets. Some were painted by the lives of God’s people. Living individuals became sign posts pointing us toward Jesus Christ. As we saw God working through them, we caught glimpses of the way He would work through His Son.
Here are just a few examples:
- ENOCH “walked with God” and left this world without facing death, being taken up directly into God’s presence. (Genesis 5:22-24)
- Like Christ, NOAH pleased God in a time when sin seemed overwhelming and inevitable. Through him God saved our race from destruction.
- ISAAC was a long-promised son and heir, miraculously born and later offered up by his father as a sacrifice. (Genesis 15, 21 – 22)
- JOSEPH endured betrayal, injustice, and great suffering, then was dramatically exalted to a high position. From that position he saved his family and his entire nation from death. (Genesis 37 – 50)
- Like Christ, MOSES was God’s instrument for leading His people out of bondage. He served as deliverer, leader, prophet, and mediator.
- SAMUEL was miraculously born by God’s promise and was wholly dedicated to God’s service before birth. Though not of the priestly tribe, he was God’s chosen mediator between Himself and His people. (1 Samuel)
- Like his Greater Son, DAVID was a good shepherd, lifted from humble beginnings to become a glorious leader of God’s people. He was a man after God’s own heart, and God considered him His own son (Psalm 89:26-27).
As we consider these lives and others, we see shadows of the coming Messiah. We catch passing glimpses of how the high and holy God would incarnate Himself in flesh and blood. Their faith and God’s faithfulness to them prepare our hearts for His fullness so beautifully revealed in the Living Christ.
Father, the human race is like a prism.
Through it we begin to see Your life
exploded into its full range of
color, variety, and dazzling beauty.
Shine through us,
Listen…and sing if you want:
Hymn: Prepare Us
Printed Music & Lyrics